5 Places Water Damage Could Be Hiding
Water damage from a leaking appliance or from a flood can easily identified (although that doesn’t make it better). When water damage like that happens, it is very noticeable, but, there could be water damage in your house that you can’t even see. Here are 5 overlooked spots that could have water damage:
- In the wall beneath a window: Rain can seep in between the window sash and jamb and trickle down to the framing studs in the wall. Prolonged leaks can rot the studs and other framing, leading to expensive repairs.
- Under the siding: Unsealed gaps allow water to enter the siding and eventually rot the plywood beneath.
- The exterior door threshold: Since this is exposed to water every time it rains, eventually the wood will swell and become spongy. This damage may not be noticed until the wood rots and can no longer support the metal threshold.
- Beneath the dishwasher: Leaks can develop in the water supply line that runs to the dishwasher. Since you can’t see under the dishwasher, over time a slow leak can do serious damage to the subfloor. You may not notice until you move the washer to replace it with a new one, only to find you’ll have to replace some of the floor as well.
- Under a wobbly toilet: Water can leak from around the wax ring at the base of the toilet. It is likely you would not see any water at all but it will be soaking into the subfloor the whole time. Sometimes the first indication is the toilet starting to wobble due to the floor supporting it rotting away.
For the complete list of hiding spots click here