Prepare for the storm
When weather is concerned expect the unexpected. Tornadoes for example, can be one of the most unexpected events during strong thunder storm. For this very reason tornado warnings are posted for certain time intervals to keep you informed.
Preparing for the storm
Being prepared is one of the best things you can do for your family.
- Determine your risk- Get familiar with your area by determining the risk or treat from a hurricane. Winds, storm surges, and tornadoes.
- Develop an evacuation plan-Get familiar with your evacuation zones and alternate routes in case flooded areas and falling trees obstruct the road.
- Make an emergency disaster kit-Be prepared with a kit that has flashlight and batteries, radio, and enough non-perishable food and water to last a couple of days for each person.
- Strengthen your home- Cover windows, trim trees, secure loose outdoor items, secure all doors, and move your car to a safe location
- Check on neighbor-Offering a helping hand with one or more of the above and also checking on them after the storm.
During a storm even now where to go in the structure you are in for safety. Wither it a school, manufactured home, commercial building or vehicle. After the storm, be careful when you are checking for damage, sharp objects and debris. If you are unsure of your safety in a structure because of the damage, seek a safe shelter.